Have Roller - Will Travel

The Steamroller is such a lovely and trustworthy tool. It has been of great interest to myself to see how people have customized this ubiquitous object according to their own needs and taste.

After aquiring the right size steamroller last fall, I have thought it would be nice to document the journey of my own copy.

This thread serves much as an own log to track the changes, and by making it public I hope others may benefit from the knowledge of the various modifications that take place.

In the first iteration, the build was close to how I imagine a roller was intended to be arranged, i.e. 700c wheels, 32mm tires, fixed gear with flat bars front brake.

Later in the year when the rainy season began I added full fenders - pelago narrow model. The stem and bars changed to a more ergonomic setup, and seatpost was also swapped as the fluted one I had previously was too long and the flutes would let water into the frame.

The fit of the fenders was very tight in the front due to the road caliper and needed some custom bracket to avoid rubbing.

After the snow and ice arrived, studded tires and dynamo lights were added. These did not fit under the fenders, and snow clearance was desired so the swap was made to an Ass Saver arrangement front and rear. Using zip-ties to fix a mini fender to the lower seattube has worked surprisingly well.

There still remained issue that the front tire’s studs would eat into the brake caliper under heavy braking.
So when opportunity arose to purchase a disc fork, this was changed. At the same time a 650b wheel was put with even larger front tire of 50mm. The grip was already quite good with front studs, but the larger volume has helped considerably on bump ice trails.

The stem was also changed to 60mm, along with Brooks seat. There have been many alterations so it is hard to say what has affected most the handling and comfort, but the short stem has made it easier to unweight the front wheel to clear snowbanks and whatnot. I reckon this would be uncomfortably short for longer rides, but distances longer than 10km commute are not common in the winter conditions.

This is how the setup remains for the time being, but planned changes include building a 650b rear wheel, playing with stem lengths when weather improves, and attempting to fit full fenders again after the tires change.

38 Likes

didi the brake work properly

Needs a bleed but still works well enough, cheers!

Rear wheel done, also first self-built. Now to check some different tires.

20 Likes

The 650b rear wheel has now been in use for some weeks, with satisfying results.

Tire trials led to fitment of used pair of continental top contact winter II, in size 50-584. These measure around 47mm on 25mm internal rims, and have comfortable clearance to this frame. I couldn’t imagine a better tire for the intermediate spring conditions, with good grip in wet and cold, with enough tread to work around the small stones. The bead snapped into place very tightly, and would probably work as DIY tubeless, though I don’t think I will bother trying before switching to summer tires.

Some general observations about 650b on the steamroller, or perhaps applicable to other conversions as well:

• The reduction in gear ratio was noticeable, when using same chainring and cog. I did not expect this.
  • Smoothness and grip were increased as expected.
  • Much experimentation with tires is recommended, width was not found to be consistent to stated measurements.
25 Likes

Some updates were made for summer:
Tires switched to tubeless 48-584 gravelkings, which do fit into the roller. Clearance is very tight, maybe 2-3mm, but no problems when testing. Will have to keep the wheel true.

Cranks were also switched to Genetic Tibia due to Miche pistard cracking in the usual places. Genetic seem solid and good finish, will see if they hold up.

SPD’s also back on. I didn’t have any warm enough cycling shoes for winter, and anyway preferred the normal shoes for commuting. Summer is coming now and longer rides will be pulled so happy to have the proper footwear.

Maybe next gearing will be changed, now is still 46x19.

Aesthetics have been interesting in this project, being somewhat chaotic by my taste. But I will continue to put utility of the tool first and see how it develops.

21 Likes

pink is good