"Inoffical Crit" Ahveniston-Kuntoajo

Hi,

After the Duathlon the race track will be opened up for a bike race (Fixie/Track allowed). Might be a oppertunity to establish future races (fixed only).

Aika: 25.5.2019, lähtö klo 15.30

Paikka: Ahvenisto Race Circuit, Hämeenlinna

Matka: 25 kierrosta (71 km)

Tapahtumatiedot:
Kuntoajo starttaa yhteislähtönä. Tapahtumassa ajetaan 25 kierrosta (71 km) tai kunnes maalialue sulkeutuu klo 19:00. Aerotangot ja aika-ajo/triathlonpyörät ovat kielletty. Yhden ratakierroksen pituus on 2,84 km.
Tapahtumassa on elektroninen ajanotto.

Osallistumismaksut:
30.4.2019 asti – 42 euroa
1.–19.5.2019 – 47 euroa
Jälki-ilmoittautuminen – 57 euroa

Ahvenisto race circuit + fixed gear: not the best idea I think. There is a hill with more than 20% grade. Hats off if you’ll do that!

This looks like a good chance to gain some experience. Not 100% sure I can make it, but is anyone else interested on going fixed?

erkko - 9:04, 15.5.2019 » Ahvenisto race circuit + fixed gear: not the best idea I think. There is a hill with more than 20% grade. Hats off if you’ll do that!
Was about to say this. I'd recommend getting familiar with the profile of the track and careful consideration regarding gear ratios.

Hi.
When we used to downhill skate we just went to track after 18.00 when no other scheduled events.
Don’t know if it’s still ok to do that. There was people rollerskating etc.
Has some very intense, but shortish hills.

Ahvenisto in the event will be ran opposite direction than what they race with cars nowadays. It’s possible with fixed gear but extremely steep hills. I have driven car there multiple times so I have some insight to the track.

Good to know. haven´t checked the actuaql profile but true, 20% is pretty brutal.

It´s max 12%
Course detail

I have done races in this Ahvensito circuit many times and I know the end of the biggest hill is very steep, believe or not. People talk it is about 22%, but my opinioin is thar it is around 20%. And there is also two fast descents, where the speed is around 60-70 km/h. So that is not the best place for fixed-gear bike,

https://www.strava.com/segments/7617695

https://www.strava.com/segments/6331038

steepish

erkko - 21:09, 16.5.2019 » I have done races in this Ahvensito circuit many times and I know the end of the biggest hill is very steep, believe or not. People talk it is about 22%, but my opinioin is thar it is around 20%. And there is also two fast descents, where the speed is around 60-70 km/h. So that is not the best place for fixed-gear bike,
In this event I believe it's run backwards so that the steepest hill from the top to the pits is down, not up. The reason is that in the current official racing direction the descent from the same hill ends up in a 90 degree with not much concave and very fast speeds. Going to the opposite direction it's more feasible for bicycles but still there is fast speeds for fixies.

When you say concave do you mean positive camber?

I mean angled to the inside of the track which the steep turn is not.

Might go there just to watch the duathlon.

Right, that’s called positive camber. A turn where the apex side (or inside) of the track is lower than the outside. No camber being equal height inside and out, negative camber obviously has the apex “up on a hill” making it extremely tricky with tire loads.

So me and Jan went to this event, Jan was strong until he got a flat after round 10/25, dnf. I got 'till round 18/25 and had to quit due to cramps.

Riding conditions were challenging, with a steep and wet downhill bend with negative camber almost resulting in a crash.

For reference sake, I believe Jan was running 48x17 and I was running 48x15. We we’re 2nd & 3rd respectively before Jan’s flat and I was 2nd until my last lap before giving up.

Though both DNF, it was well worth attending and the crowd was great, and just wanted to bring it up here that it’s doable fixed.

It was great fun despite the flat.

Suffer score was high and the pooring rain was not the best considering the course direction.

Knowing the direction will be changed next year and probably the ammount of laps might be adjusted.

Nevertheless the steepest section is hard but doable fixed even if the course rund the other way than mentioned above. Definitly more pleasant have it run the other direction to make use of the speed from the climbing.

Hope this will be on again next year

The riding direction was just an assumption knowing the track well and I would never make it so that on a bicycle people go downhill to the most difficult corner…

“Hope this will be on again next year”

There is event under Racebike cup three times still this year. I put link below for dates. There’s also hobbyseries that you don’t need licence for.
https://www.tawastcc.com/toiminta/maantiepyoraily/racebike-focus-cup/ohjelma/

Edit. Changed the link, was probably wrong dates on first one.

The track is a figure 8 and it is run “clockwise”? :smiley: I need a picture…

In my opinion: with a bicycle the track should be run opposite to the normal driving direction to avoid Tarun Mutka, like in the video below. It is also way more fun to ride that way. Total elevation gain is 58m/lap and the final climb is brutal.

Cupla - 11:19, 28.5.2019 » The track is a figure 8 and it is run "clockwise"? :D I need a picture... In my opinion: with a bicycle the track should be run opposite to the normal driving direction to avoid Tarun Mutka, like in the video below. It is also way more fun to ride that way. Total elevation gain is 58m/lap and the final climb is brutal.
The video in your post shows the direction it should absolutely be ridden with a bicycle, what I meant by clockwise is opposite to this so that the round part on the race track map is being driven "clockwise", I know it's a figure 8 so it's not the best description.