Yksivaihde.net » Aiheen vierestä

Apple Tech Support From Forum Member?

(15 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by thefootdown
  • Latest reply from thefootdown

1. Are there any good Apple tech people on the forum?

I've got a computer problem which I haven't been able to diagnose and fix myself and could do with a bit of help that doesn't include a huge bill from one of the shops in the city.

Kiitos.

Lähetetty 17:16, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  2. jussiaulis
    jussiaulis
    Profiili

I could take a look at the computer. Any idea if the issue is hardware/software related?

Lähetetty 19:12, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  3. grep
    grep
    Profiili

start investigation diy, then ask with more details?

Lähetetty 20:18, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  4. I updated to Yosemite on Saturday and everything had been working fine, I was been able to shut down and startup as normal.

A couple of days ago I forced my Early 2011 MacBook Pro to shut down and now it will no longer get to the login screen.

I hear the chime, the Apple appears with the Yosemite status bar underneath, it takes a long time to get about halfway then both the Apple and status bar disappear leaving just a blank grey screen.

- I can get into Single User mode, using "fsck -fy" it reports that everything is OK.
    - I can't get into Safe Mode, I just get the Apple and status bar followed by grey screen
    - I have reset PRAM
    - I can get into Internet Recovery mode, the globe and status bar appear but eventually change to the Apple and status bar then grey screen.
    - Holding Option I can select my disk but there is no Recovery Disk displayed.
    - I have a bootable Yosemite USB, holding option I can select that but it just brings up the Apple and status bar then grey screen.

So basically everything other than Single User mode ends up at a blank grey screen.

I'm at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-
    Apple tech chat support said that it's probably hardware related and that I should take it to an authorised service centre but I'm pretty sure that it's going to cost me money just for them to check because there's no official Apple Store and Genius Bar here.
    -

NOTE
    My left fan is faulty, I have ordered a new one online. I have been using SMCFanControl to monitor it, if the computer has been feeling hot I have been increasing the RPM for a minute to cool it just to be safe until the new fan arrives. Last night I increased the RPM and SMCFanControl became unresponsive which is why I forced the computer to shut down because I couldn't reduce the fan speed back to normal.

Lähetetty 20:27, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  5. My MBP gave me same symptoms while the GPU was broken.

nina - 18:36, 23.4.2013  » 
    Satula keulii. Se tuntuu hyvältä vain mukulakivillä ajaessa.
    Lähetetty 20:46, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  6. grep
    grep
    Profiili

Faulty fan and excessive heat sounds nasty for the hardware, and the symptoms don't sound very good.

I think you have done nearby as much as possible already...

Machine still in garantee, 3 years, possibly no more? If yes, do let an authorised shop to have a look, there are a couple of those in Helsinki.

If not, next check & really carefully clean dust if needed and try your luck with a working fan and lets hope that the heat did not damage anything permanently.

(For starters, you could even add some external extra office fans on the desk

)

If you are not familiar with opening laptops try with somebody, e.g. Jussiaulis. Mac Book Pro 2011 is very easy to open after watching some youtube video but you do need good quality, small torx screw drivers.

I would go to Tector if it is going to be a bigger project, possibly a new motherboard will be needed, expensive

Lähetetty 20:50, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  7. WaterBoy
    WaterBoy
    Profiili

Early 2011 MBP are known to have GPU issues that can cause all kinds of other problems :(
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/widespread-2011-macbook-pro-failures-continue-3497935/

Lähetetty 21:19, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  8. I'm waiting for a new fan and Torx set to arrive in the post. I'm fairly knowledgeable about stuff, I worked at an Apple Premium Reseller back in 2008 (before Apple was cool, ha).

It certainly does sound like some piece of hardware is broken and I'm aware of the GPU problems which Apple still won't acknowledge.

I haven't got AppleCare so if something is broken in there it may be time for a new computer, which is both exciting and heartbreaking too!

Lähetetty 21:34, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  9. grep
    grep
    Profiili

Reminds me when there were lots of problems with 2007 Mac Pro tower workstations with Ati gpu's and overheating in 2010.

Finally customers got free lower end nVidia cards, but the wait was painful and unpleasant. SmcFanControlled sound of many high rpm fans, never again. Many had updated their machines already.

Lähetetty 21:53, 21.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  10. Took it to a service centre today, they ran a diagnostic and found that all the hardware is fine but it's somehow completely lost the operating system. So if I can't get a copy of Mavericks to install from a USB then my only option is to pay them 69 bucks to fix it, which is much less than I thought I was going to have to spend!

Lähetetty 16:45, 22.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  11. Mavericks on a usb drive shouldnt be a problem. They were sort of easy to make.

nina - 18:36, 23.4.2013  » 
    Satula keulii. Se tuntuu hyvältä vain mukulakivillä ajaessa.
    Lähetetty 17:24, 22.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  12. I've got Mavericks on USB, I just tried to install and all I get is blue screen which is the faulty GPU on the 2001 MacBooks. Looks like I'm going to have to pay for a factory install.

Lähetetty 17:27, 22.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  13. bike_futurist
    bike_futurist
    Profiili

my mid 2012 mbp had a broken logic board/gpu. Took it to mcare at ruoholahti. They applied for extended warranty as some expensive components are supposed to last over the one year, according to finnish consumer law or something. So I had my logic board changed for free (of course the company got paid by apple).

Lähetetty 17:29, 22.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  14. manuelkala
    manuelkala
    Profiili

i had a fan changed a year ago in my 2007 macbook, cost me 70 euros. havent had any problems since.
    some kind of #newgen problem i guess. also, i have a battery which i can change by myself w/o any tools.

Kona Sutra LTD counter: 1
    ᚱ*ulkomaalaisen näköinen since 1989*ᚱ
    Lähetetty 17:37, 22.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM
  15. I've chatted with Apple support online and they are as confused as I am with this problem, the senior support was very impressed with my knowledge which is nice but hasn't helped. Now they are going to call me on Friday and a technician is going to try and help, the computer is nearly 3 years out of warranty and they are going to call me to help! And that is why it's good to spend a fortune on Apple products :-p

Lähetetty 20:36, 22.10.2014, 5 years sitten. # Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

Yksivaihde.net » Aiheen vierestä

Search with Google: